School Leavers – What are the Options
For a lot of students, finishing Year 12 is the most important step for them to take as they head to a Uni or a training organisation. For some others, though, leaving school early seems like a better option, especially if there’s a career out there that might not need a Year 12 pass.
There are many reasons why a young adult may decide to leave school before reaching completing Year 12, and even though there are a lot of benefits to completing the VCE, it might not be the career path for everyone.
Before Leaving School
It’s important that you explore all of your options before you decide on leaving school, and here are some things to consider before you take that next step.
- The first thing you should know is that the legal school leaving age in Victoria is 17 years old, and you must complete at least Year 10. If you’re considering exiting from a school, then you you have to understand that you need at least these minimum requirements.
- Have a chat with Mum and Dad. If they know how you’re feeling, then they can help you look at your options properly before you decide to leave.
- Talk with career counsellors at school and see what they think about your opportunities outside of school.
You can also explore the option of doing a school-based apprenticeship course with us, which allows you to combine VCE or VCAL with seven hours of paid part-time work per week. To find out more, check out our guide on school-based apprenticeships.
Youth Central is also a great resource for if you decide to completely leave school.
Studying at VFA Learning
As it’s a legal requirement for everyone under 17 to study, there are numerous options for you to think about, including taking on a new career in Fitness, Childcare or Massage with VFA Learning.
The team at VFA Learning is very understanding of these situations, and have the systems in place to ensure the change from high school to a mature learning environment is handled with care, so that Mum and Dad know you’re in good hands when you study with us.
No matter which course you choose to study with us, we can help you:
– Get ready for a working environment
– With flexible training options based on your needs and choices
– Get to your potential with innovative and leading pathways and programs
Government Funding for School Leavers
According to Skills Victoria, you may also be eligible for government funding on some of our courses, as long as ou meet some of their criteria, which can be read at http://www.skills.vic.gov.au/Pages/get-training/get-funding.aspx.
If you’d like to learn more about our courses, you can also check them out here:
You can also get in touch with VFA Learning by using our Enquiry Form, or calling 1300 889 561.
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- July 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- September 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- February 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012